Universal Wine BVBA
Universal Wine was founded in April 1994 by Kurt Dewaele. It specialises in the direct import of New World Wines. In 1997, after 3 years renting storage, Kurt decided to build his own large warehouse on an Industrial Estate near the E40 Freeway - conveniently close to all the major cities. Due to continued expansion this has been replaced by new premises, at the same location, with a stockholding capacity of 100.000 bottles.
Since 2006 Kurt attracted a partner by the person of Kristof Samyn, formally a Universal Wine private customer, he came into the business as a hobbyist but with professional education and expertise. They now run the business together to ensure continue sales. In august 2009 Rik Bert joined the team to continue our expansion.
The cellar door is open on Saturdays. In addition we have private customers on the mailing list.
We also supply local restaurants and independent retailers nation-wide.
An internet shop also secure 24 hours and 7 days sales.
The main objective of Universal Wine is to sell wine not available in the supermarkets!
Most of the wines that we offer are imported exclusively to Belgium.
We are looking at wines from the new-and old world in the retails price range of € 4 to € 8 for 80% of our list, the other 20% is from € 8 till € 15.
We like to sell different wines like Beiras from Portugal or a Tannat from Argentinië.
A long term relationship with the producers and a mutual understanding is priority in order to receive both a win-win situation.
Today sales are around 500.000 bottles / year.
Benefits are in the rotation of our stock, not in our margin.
Costs are kept low to keep the margins competitive!
Our aim is to keep on building for happy customers. Give them the service, the personal advices and the tasting that they are looking for. We see Universal Wine as a niche player on the Belgium traditional wine market with a healthy and long term growth.